4th Grade Students made tribal masks from large oak tag paper. We had just learned about Picasso and discussed how his art (cubism) was influenced by tribal designs.
We entirely transformed them with:
- Mod Podge!!!! -tissue papers, construction paper scraps, feathers and raffia.
- create symmetrical designs using folded paper,
- stick to a color theme (color wheel),
- create 3-D parts with folds or slits that were pulled to overlap and then stapled. (this worked awesome),
- create a tribe name and write a few statements about how your mask is used in your tribe.