February 10, 2011

Jim Dine

Oh, the wonderful world of Dine Hearts!



I have seen all types of Dine hearts all over the blog world for a year now and thought I had better "get with the program" and try some myself.
 

What I love about this project is how successful a kindergarten student can be with their attempt.  They also take on a quilt effect when grouped as a collaborative project.

Each student was given an 8" square watercolor paper.

We looked at Dine images and talked about how some looked camouflaged.

Then, they used a tracing pattern for their heart.

They colored the heart outline heavily with a black crayon...then, inside of their heart with fantastic "party" colors.

The outside (we learned the word background) was done in watercolor paints!

6 comments:

  1. Jim Dine always does well! And hearts are a favourite subject of my pupils!
    Love the quilt effect too!

    I just started an art-teacher blog myself. You can take a look if you want: http://artlessonsfrombelgium.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I just tried a Jim Dine Valentine's assignment too. I saw so many nice ones on other blogs that inspired me to do one also. I keep forgetting to bring my camera to work to take pictures though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also completed a Jim Dine project recently! I guess he's a popular guy this time of year. I like how you stuck with one giant heart for this project - thanks for sharing!

    Janelle
    http://stuckinthemudpotter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great all grouped together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are Awesome! I LOVE Jim Dine! One of My favorite Artists!

    ReplyDelete